translate

Saturday, October 7, 2017

A Letter to the Women in the Halfway House

Dear Women in the Halfway House,

The Holy Spirit has lead me to a position of working among you. To God I look to for guidance in our daily encounters and monthly meetings. Through Christ Jesus I love, forgive, and instruct you. Although our environment is not one to call "holy" nor a place we often even for a second desire to be, it is our forbearance and your success that is holding everything together.

You have seen life. You have experienced life. I get it. You have been abused, neglected, cheated, and lied to. I see it. You have made mistakes, you have created these chains and caused heartache. I feel it. In all of these things, I want you to know you are not alone. I want you to see that we are equal. I want you to feel freedom, grace, and mercy.

May the same love God has for myself be known and amplified among you. May it be louder than the labels society has given you or you may have given yourself. May it be stronger than the drugs you onced used to take you away from the pain and more invigorating than the high you thought you needed.

When I look at you, I see you through my Father's eyes. I may not be the world's most intelligent, proficient in criminology, or a psychologist and God has not called me to be so. He has called me to listen, love, and follow. These instructions I also present to you: listen, love, follow.  You are more than this world says you are, you more than what you have become, your past does not define you, and your crimes can be a chapter in a grander story. Your story can be a tool for positive change in a world that desperately needs it. It needs your talents, your strengths, your laughter, your wisdom, and your creativity.

I set before you instructions. I set before you a goal. How do we together make these things attainable? How do we together do life-life in such of a dynamic as this?

I am still young in years, but I have been through much. I see my sins the same as yours, although worldly justice gives more weight to others. Our paths have been very different and yet, here we stand face to face. I see your face, not your number. I sit here behind a glass watching you figure out life not being behind bars. I know you are searching for meaning, an anchor, stability, love, security, and hope. You are not alone. Your Heavenly Father is right here beside you. He knows exactly what you need and has the perfect time for it. He only ever has good in store for you. You are who He came for. You are worthy of everything He has to offer, even His only begotten son whom He sent on a cross as an atonement for the world's crimes. You mean everything to Him! He wants you, even if it was only ever just you. Even with your history, He wants you.

This is what my heart beats for. This is why I am here. I am not here to make your life more miserable, although I keep you accountable. Yet, I pray in my imperfections you see the way to Jesus. He can and will be your strength, your joy, your revival-that is if you allow Him to be.

I know among you there are some that are already my sisters in the Lord. I praise God for each one of you. May the same forgiveness He has imparted to me be unto you. May the same discipline He has bestowed upon me be in you.

I leave you with this melody. May you meditate on these truths today and until the day you leave these confines:  

In love,
Your Security

No comments:

Post a Comment