translate

Monday, July 2, 2018

"Spiritual Birthday"

I have walked with and known Jesus personally for thirteen years now. That's 4,745 days. I have been alive for 25 years; that is roughly 9,307 days. The things I have seen, heard, and felt during such times is immeasurable. I hesitantly look upon my last year knowing it was filled with ups and downs, mistakes, and victories. I am fully aware that  after thirteen years there is still soo much to learn and do.

I had this dream a while back about a woman I once knew at the halfway house I worked at. She was sharing with me what the program liked to call "a Matrix project." Every woman in our facility had to complete different stages filled with assignments that ranged from writing papers, creating a poster, to extracurricular activities. These Matrix activities were to promote self-awareness and growth within the women. So in my dream this girl was showing me her poster that had three parts to it: a rollercoaster, a big wave of water, and a stream of fire. She was explaining to me how the three stages represented life with coming to know God. First we are born into this roller coaster called  "life," then we are baptized into the waters of a new life, and finally we are tested by fire. These things were all of which I knew from scripture: Ecc. 3, John 3, 1 Cor. 3

Powerful dream;

too bad I didn't dive into it sooner.

Much like life huh? "Too bad I didn't dive into that sooner"...."Too bad I didn't do that...see that...learn that sooner."

I have come to learn over the years that many people do know that Jesus is the Truth, but much less know Him as the Way and less yet know Him as the Life.

It's not about us choosing God. It's that He choose us and found us worth risking everything.

I came to know Jesus when I only twelve years old. Many people throughout the years have commented how they are blown away that a person my age can have such a strong faith. And yet, no matter how far they see or think I am in this journey I still see myself as being tested by that fire. It's by no means easy, or quick, or painless.

He is worth risking everything.

Like I have said numerous times before it's not about religion it's about a relationship. Just yesterday a man from work asked me about the degree I will be pursuing. I told him a Masters of Divinity. He then asked, "Remind me again what religion you are?" I responded, "I follow Jesus." He then looked confused, "So you don't have a religion?" I said, "No, I have a relationship." Still confused, he continued, "So you have your own religion?" I said, "No, I am Christian."

This man was probably thinking why I had to make the conversation difficult. Thing is there's a point to get across that many people still aren't getting. If I respond right away as "I am Christian" most of the time people's mind allude that to some preconceived negative notions perpetrated through media and fallen congregations. However, if I respond, "I follow Jesus" most likely the curious mind focuses on "Who is Jesus" and "Why is He worth following?"

And the beautiful thing about those questions is that I am still figuring them out. And I pray I and those on the same journey will never grow weary in doing so.

Jesus is the Way, the Truth, and the Life. -John 14: 6

In my thirteen years of knowing this, still it breaks my heart that I don't truly comprehend this.

Knowing Jesus has brought justification for me when He took the cross I couldn't. Jesus brought about the purification for me when I was baptized by the Holy Spirit and symbolically through waters of death coming into life. Jesus now works on bringing sanctification-that is making me holy.

He is doing the same for you if you are a believer and He won't stop until the day of completion. Don't lose your trust in Him. Don't give up your hope in Him. He has confidence in you, so take up confidence of the one who lives inside of you. You are powerful, you are a conqueror, you are chosen, you are light.

When I was a young believer I would come to points in my walk with God that made me want to just take a "break." You know-just set aside the whole Christianity thing for a day or two and do whatever I wanted....as if Christianity is a jacket you wear for special occasions....Well, as you know or have read any of my past posts God still showed up and physically said "I will wait....wait for you." I was a new creation trying to crawl back into my old skin and God was breaking it.

I know this being Christian thing can be hard in our day and age-heck, when was it ever easy!? But my brothers and sisters in Christ as Paul urges the church in Thessalonica I urge you to do the same in regards to our sanctification process: Do so even more. Keep up the good fight! It will not be in vain!

And those on the outside looking in, those who just read this to poke holes or can relate with shedding off the jacket of Christianity may you truly know what freedom feels like....
Happy anniversary my love, Jesus. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment