translate

Thursday, January 26, 2017

"...At The Table..."

A Continuation of Re-Reading the Gospel 

How many of you still or have in the past eaten dinner together as a family? How many of you have then heard this statement to some extent: "Don't....at the table..."? or "At the table we do this...."? It's funny everyone had their favorite or maybe designated spot at the table. In addition, as you and your family gathered there was a unspoken or sometimes spoken culture that was set along with the food that was just prepared. Maybe one of those rules was you couldn't put your elbows on the table or maybe the rule was "no cell phones at the table." I remember growing up there were few times I ate with people at the table for dinner. One of the moments was when I lived with my cousin's family while I was in third grade. One of my Uncle's table rules that no one could leave until all the food on your plate was gone-a rule I am sure was passed down from my grandparents who were farmers. I also remember that my one cousin hated this rule, especially when there was something he didn't like was given. Was there anything about your family's culture around the table that you didn't like? Or how about that of which you loved?

Why am I taking about this?

Well, I thought it was a good transition into this scripture we are diving into today. The scripture is from Luke 14: 7-14.

Some of your Bibles may entitle this section "Teachings on Humility" but as my youth leader back in the day challenged us to do I now challenge you to do and that is rename it to what you think it is about. To me, I saw it much more than a teaching on humility (although that is very important), I saw it as an "At the Table Lesson."

When I first read these verses as a young believer I used to feel guilty because I would never want to invite people to my parties who weren't my friends or who couldn't invite me to their parties in return. Then again, I also felt bad because I never parties...I wasn't really part of the "popular kids" club. But it was in this memory something struck a cord with me. The Holy Spirit took me away from looking at what I didn't or don't do to what has already happened. What can I possibly mean?

Take a closer look at verses 12-14.
"Then Jesus said to his host, “When you give a luncheon or dinner, do not invite your friends, your brothers or sisters, your relatives, or your rich neighbors; if you do, they may invite you back and so you will be repaid. But when you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind, and you will be blessed. Although they cannot repay you, you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous.”

To emphasize this point a little bit more, let's take look at the rest of the chapter Luke 14: 15-24. This is the quite similar to the rendition we have read in Matthew 22: 1-14.

What is Jesus saying? Well, we can interpret His parable by using the rest of what He has said the in the Gospel according to Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. God is the King/Jesus is the man, who has prepared this great and grand banquet with all the food you would have on Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter combined! And He has invited you.

Before I continue, I want that to sink in. God invites you. He invites you to dine at His great table.

What are you feeling? What are you thinking? Are you filled with anxiety because you don't know what God's great table culture will expect of you or are you filled with enthrallment and awe that you get to dine with such Majesty?

Like humility, this point hits the core of who we are. Let us remember that humility isn't thinking less of ourselves but less about ourselves. However, what are to begin with that we should think less about ourselves?

What does our most prominent writer of the New Testament say of himself? He calls himself, "the worst of sinners." Check it out 1 Timothy 1: 12-17.

For those have been called and have actually heeded to that, we must recognize our humble position at the table and that is recognizing who we are, were we come from, what God calls us, and what God has done for us.

Don't forget your position

"But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong."
-1 Corinthians 1:27


"But he gives us more grace. That is why Scripture says:

“God opposes the proud
    but shows favor to the humble.”"
-James 4:6

I don't say these things to shame you, but remind you. Sometimes we can get so caught up in the "good Christian church-goer" life that we have lost touch with our position. Jesus told the Pharisees that it is enough for the servants to be like their Master, but they will never be above their Master. 

So we are the "poor, maimed, lame, or blind" and what does Jesus call us? He calls us blessed. Yes, in our frail and fragile state He calls us BLESSED. Why?

"But blessed are your eyes because they see, and your ears because they hear. For truly I tell you, many prophets and righteous people longed to see what you see but did not see it, and to hear what you hear but did not hear it."
-Matthew 13:16-17

Do you know what the word BLESSED means? It means "made holy." My Greek translation bible notes that the same word here in this verse can also say "happy." So "happy are your eyes because they see!"

Sometimes I get so bent out of shape because I can't ever repay my Savior back for what He has done for me. But He wouldn't want it any other way. For True Love doesn't say. "I give, you take and pay." No rather it says:
“Come, all you who are thirsty,
    come to the waters;
and you who have no money,
    come, buy and eat!
Come, buy wine and milk
    without money and without cost.
Why spend money on what is not bread,
    and your labor on what does not satisfy?
Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good,
    and you will delight in the richest of fare.
Give ear and come to me;
    listen, that you may live.
I will make an everlasting covenant with you..."

Don't toil my brothers and sisters about where you come from or what you have done, He invites you to the table. He simply says "come." And if you so dare as to come, you will be BLESSED for He will renew your strength, give you peace, quench your thirst, and love you wholly, completely, forever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever. 









No comments:

Post a Comment