translate

Saturday, January 25, 2014

No Money? No Worries.

A new thought entertained my brain today as I was worrying about money-which has been a major crunch in my life for as long as I can remember (as I could imagine is the same for many of you) , I was thinking about this verse:

"Take nothing for the journey-no staff, no bag, no bread, no money, no extra shirt..."-Luke 9:3

Beautiful words rights? 

Well, let's look at the context (cause that's how I roll and plus that's the right thing to do and I am always right...hahahahah jokes).
Luke 9:1-6 (also found in Matthew 10) 

  • Jesus is sending out the 12=the disciples, his friends, to prepare the way=minister to, preach to, heal to, those whom were God's chosen but fell away (meaning the people of Israel, but we are all in the same boat)
  • Jesus tells the disciples not to take anything with them "for workers are worth their keep". He also briefly taps into how the Spirit will provide (however, the disciples were not directly told "the Spirit will provide" nor would they have comprehended that at this time)
  • Jesus gives specific instructions for specific situations-more then none situations that dealt with being hated. But, he also encourages his friends not to worry because they are dearly loved by their Father in heaven
So how does this relate to you and I? Well, it can have a lot of implications for those who call them followers of the Way (the old term for Christians. I have read over these passages a butt load of times, but I have never thought of it from the angle of: what were the disciples thinking? Too many times I immediately jump into "okay, how does this reading apply to me?" and I miss some other very important aspects (and plus, it's not always about me...get over yourself Samantha).

We could make a sophisticated guess that since Jesus is God and God is Creator, he (Jesus) knew the disciples thoughts; thus, he addressed specific topics concerning them going out and "fishing for men"-their new mission, turning their already known talents & gifts into ministry (for those who do not know, most of the disciples were fishermen previously).

But did that really change how they felt? I mean Jesus really started of with a time bomb there, "TAKE NOTHING". Could you imagine their reaction?

Peter: (arms folded nodding in agreement but clueless)
Andrew: "yeah, yeah, yeah" (saying excitedly but arms also folded)
James: (thinking about how illogical this was, puzzled look on his face) "Wait..."  
John: "phhh...but alright..."
Phillip: (was in middle of strapping his money bag tightly to his belt) "Huh?"
Bartholomew: (taking a extra big bit out of his double cheeseburger not listening)
Thomas:(all big eyed and heart racing)
Matthew: "yes."
James: (double knotting his sneakers, shaking of nerves for what's to come)
Thaddaeus: (patting James on the back) "you're kidding right?...this is like that joke you told us last night?"
Simon: "Let's do it!"
Judas: "whatever..." rocking out to Marilyn Mansion

Okay, so maybe they didn't react as such but still. PICTURE IT! How would you respond???

When I moved to Colorado I took half my things and left the other half at my dad's house which was hard. What things do you take? What things do you leave behind?

NOTHING. EVERYTHING. 

Jesus is teaching me, in contrast to the "grown up life", that money (and all other things that bring "security") will not satisfy. As soon as you get one step ahead, you just as quickly become 5000 steps behind. Ever have the thought, "If I just had that or this, everything would be okay."? "If only I had that lotto money..." right?

As a follower of the Way, you are not meant to be comfortable (nor are you to make others comfortable...next blog).

Your mission is to make disciples.

"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." -Matthew 28:19-20

Not money.

"No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money." -Matthew 6:24

Here are some other verses to encourage you in your regards with money (or anything you are stressing over)*Remember to read contexts to full magnitude of situations:
"You will keep in perfect peace
    those whose minds are steadfast,
    because they trust in you."-Isaiah 26:3
 
"Better a poor but wise youth than an old but foolish king who no longer knows how to heed a warning."-Ecclesiastes 4:13
 
"Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said,
“Never will I leave you;
    never will I forsake you."-Hebrews 13:5
 
"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.
“Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? 10 Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? 11 If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!"-Matthew 7:7-12
 
 "But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind."-James 1:6
 
"Because he* loves me,” says the Lord, “I will rescue him;
    I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.
15 He will call on me, and I will answer him;
    I will be with him in trouble,
    I will deliver him and honor him.
16 With long life I will satisfy him
    and show him my salvation.” -Psalm 91:14-16
 
*now note I am NOT saying we should just through caution to the wind, we need to be wise with our resources, as well as God-honoring.

 
 
 
 
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment