translate

Friday, January 17, 2014

Going Whereever the Wind Blows

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight. Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord and shun evil. This will bring health to your body and nourishment to your bones. Honor the Lord with your wealth, with the first fruits of all your crops; then your barns will be filled to overflowing,
and your vats will brim over with new wine."-Proverbs 3:5-11.



I am 21 years old. I moved to Denver last summer by a miracle. Almost as much as a miracle as to how I was able to go to the Creation Festival in 2005 (read

'Story of My Life' as they say it). Denver wasn't my first intention, but for some reason God allowed things to work this way. As compared to me wanting to move to Minnesota years back because I "felt" God saying I was meant to go to this missionary school called BCOM.-In which, there is nothing wrong with "feeling" God led you somewhere or experiencing various "signs" as I did. But those things need to be affirmed by the Word, other wise people and go smoothly.  
 
I highlighted that part because it is most important. You see, as we grow we mature and maturing can bring a lot of tweaked preconceptions we once had. I admit, I had a pride issue...and still do at times. I prided myself in the fact that I always knew what I wanted to do in life, where I was going and how I was going to get there. Well, I have matured and if your maturity hasn't brought about humility then you still have some growing up to do kid! 
 
Humility as a Christ-Follower knows nothing greater then surrender. When Jesus called His disciples they dropped everything...immediately...and followed. They didn't know nor claim where or what they were doing. Do you think Peter was like: "I am going to be the Rock on which the Church is built! And I'm going to get there by walking on water!" Nope. So why do we do it...why do I do it?
 
So concerning this opening Scripture. What does that look like today and relate to things going smoothly, as well as having humility?
  1. Where is your heart these days? Is it in your wealth? Your career? What does "trusting with your heart" even mean? Think of it as your core, your essence-all your thoughts and all your strength. (Deuteronomy 6:5)
  2. "In all your ways submit to Him"....I recently read Joshua 9 and in there is a particular verse that stood out to me verse 9 "The Israelites sampled their provisions but did not inquire of the Lord". Interesting huh. The chapter concerns the Israelites encountering the Gibeonites. You see as God's chosen people were acquiring their land God told them to have, the Gibeonites became afraid and lied to the Israelites because they lived on that land. Instead of coming across as rich as they were, they disguised themselves as poor starving homeless men. Of course an individual would have sympathy on them, but this inquired of something larger then provisions-it concerned their lives. Without consulting with their Lord and letting their emotions get ahead of them, the Israelites drew up a treaty with these liars. How important is it to inquire of the Lord?
  3.  Being a college student who wants to further their education I am continually "marketing" myself to different scholarships and grants. Applications constantly ask about your contribution to those around you, your character, and your legacy. I hate having to go on and on about what I have done...(mainly because I can't remember.) Truth is I'm nothing special. And I really don't know much. However, I have heard many say "you are very wise for your  age"... I once thought wisdom reflected itself in having everything figured out. As mentioned before, it seems as if I have l have found more of the answers by saying "I don't know" and have found a way by not trying to figure everything out.
  4. "fearing the Lord and shunning evil" is just as highly important and still just as highly missed. Sometimes as Christians we become too comfortable with the Creator and let that of which we do, which is sin no matter how "small", slip by. God is to be feared just as much as loved. You wanna know what godly fear looks like read Deuteronomy 5:22-27 and Isaiah 6:1-5. Don't belittle disobedience. Shun evil like you shun Satan. And "evil" or sin can sometimes be that of which you want or desire. But "just because you can do all things does not mean they are beneficial."(1 Cointhians 6:12-13)
  5. Also with being a college student, I am going broke. Yet, I have not forsaken in giving back to God what is His. I still continue to tithe although I have a ton other things to pay for. Why? Because God tells me to and I said I would. You don't mess with God. In having this respect towards Him I do have faith that He will provide for me. My faith is reassured through past provisions. What about you?
Trusting, submitting, leaning on and giving to God brings a peace that transcends anything in this world. Yet, note that does not mean trouble will not come our way. Jesus speaks of only inward peace not outwardly. But among the ciaos, God will carry you on...His way...and it will be good.  

No comments:

Post a Comment