translate

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

The Cost

With Easter right around the corner it is hard not to think about the cost of Christ's life for our sake.
A passion of mine is noting the wrong concepts or lies that have accumulated over the centuries concerning Christianity. Why have we made it so hard to say, "You're wrong." Because it is not tactful? Tolerant? Respectful? Did Jesus ever say to people, "You're wrong."? Does He say it to you?
Personally I hate traditions. Being raised in a Lutheran church (not hating on anyone who is "Lutheran") I was taught many traditions. To me now it is just too much religion for me to handle and not enough truth. One of those traditions was Lent-you know the thing where you are suppose to give up something for 40 days before Easter. Yeah, I never do that. (Again, not hating on those who do.)
When I was in High School my class was discussing what they were giving up for Lent (& this was a public school surprisingly). Some how I got pulled in the discussion and was asked the question. I responded the same as I would now, "I don't believe in giving up something for Lent. I believe we should do it every day and that is what I try to do." Needless to say my friends were dumbfounded-the concept of giving something everyday to God?! That's crazy! That's foolish! That's so so so...
so what?
This past week I was revisited by what it means to follow Jesus, my Lord. (I can't believe it has been 9 years since that day I came to know Him personally!!) I share with you now some of those passages asking that you first examine them yourselves, listening and grasping what words are jumping out of the page for you.
Matthew 20, Matthew 2, Matthew 10, Proverbs 16
Matthew 20 I list as "The Want Chapter" because everyone is telling Jesus what they want. "What do you want?"-Jesus
Well to be honest Jesus, I want things to work out the way I've planned it, I want things to be easy, I want to be loved, I want to not worry about money, I want to not have to work my hands to death....
Sound similar to your request?
In Matthew 2 He continues to then ask me through the Magi following the star they so earnestly studied, "Who/what are you following?"
Well to be honest Jesus I am following things based upon money and the time that I have to spare.
Are you as well?
He reminds me of my purpose and calling as a chosen follower of His in Matthew 10. Just like He called his closest friends to himself and provided them with a distinctive mission, he does the same for you & I.
Personally, God has been taking me to this passage since I was in 9th grade during of which I realized I wanted to be a missionary. His mission, His command for all of us who call Him Lord is, "Go."
Where are you going?
Well I ask Lord, "Aren't you more concerned about who I am than what I do?" And although this is true, the last scripture in Proverbs convicts me of complacency in my heart.
You see thing is I have these mighty dreams but that is all they are. You ever hear people say, "you can do anything."? Yeah, I really hate that. Because it's not true. Truth says: "we can do anything through Him who gives us strength" and "all things are possible through Him".
This Easter, this season, this year, this day, this very hour I do not want to live for myself. For I was bought for a price. A mighty MIGHTY price. I can not just sit here and do nothing. I want to bare my Savior's cross.
"What do you want?"
"We want to sit by your right and left."
"You do not know what you are asking...Can you drink from the cup I drink from? Can you be baptized with the same water I am baptized with?"
"We can."-Matthew 20
Do you know what you ask for of late?
Can you suffer the way your Savior did?
"In their hearts human beings plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps."-Proverbs 16:9
This morning here in Denver it was snowing like it was a blizzard (it is now all melted...this is why I love Denver). But I thought this to myself: too many times those wanting to follow Christ get ready to walk into that similar blizzard...but what they don't comprehend is that this isn't just a brief stroll, this bitter coldness & invisibility isn't just a 2-minute run through. No, this will last awhile. No, this is really hard. The air can be thick with snow, the wind bone-chilling, the steps short and shaking.
However, whatever the cost my brothers and sisters the Truth is that we are not alone!!! We are never alone!!!
Jesus once said, "those who look back are not fit for the work."
So I'm praying, "Jesus don't let me look back. Jesus, let me continue to walk with you wherever and not worry. Jesus, we're in this together."
At the end of Matthew 20 Jesus restores a man's sight. 
Hmmm....amazing isn't it.
At the end of this journey you'll realize it's not about your glory, it's about "sight".
"I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. No one comes to the Father except through me."-Jesus (John 14:6) 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment