translate

Thursday, March 20, 2014

"In, Not Of this World" Issue

"Dear God, make me a bird. So I could fly far. Far far away from here."
-young Jenny Curran from Forrest Gump

 When I was in junior high I became a part of a dynamic youth ministries group that I was basically consumed by until I was in 11th grade. Along with its new faces and themes for each year, there were a handful of lessons one would hear countless times due to being in the group for so long. We would have "welcome the 7th graders" & "farewell to the Seniors" night about the time summer rolled around. We would have a "music to die for" series somewhere around the fall soon followed by an outreach video that either invoked a boy seeing demons through his "magical glasses" or a family boarding a plane that represented what eternity they would spend.

Christmas lessons during December, dating lectures during February, heartbreaking crucifixion sermons during Easter, same old same old. However, one of those repeat "offenders" was a lesson that talked about the type of friends one had. I remember my youth leader saying, "Show me your friends and I'll show you who you'll become."  

Through the years and different experiences (both for the better and worse) I have become friends with several "non-believers" as the church would say. 

"It's easier to pulled down than up."
                   -junior high youth leader

 I was taught that as a believer being one/united with a unbeliever was unhealthy; thus, limited time should be spent with them. But then again ministry needed to take place, so we were also taught that we had to become like "them" to "win" like Paul spoke about in 1 Cor. 9.

I guess because of these reasons I always felt weird inviting people to church. I thought: "why take them somewhere where they will hear that of which I should already be preaching to them by the way I live my life everyday?"   

Now I am not completely dismissing what I was taught all these years, for there is some truth to it. But as you can see it can sound a little contradictory and harsh or fake. I think we should evaluate everything that takes up too much of our time "for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also"-Matthew 6:21

This could even be people or things of the church. Just because it's "good" doesn't mean it is good.

Through the different circumstances in my life and some by my will, I have come to have many friends who are non-believers. And man, are they beautiful...

Honestly, sometimes I enjoy those who think differently from me than those who think just like me. It seems to me like too many times when I try to fit in with the "christian" crowd I am needing to prove myself. But when comes to those call themselves: "pagans, witches, agnostic, atheist, spirituals, Buddhists, Hindus" or whatever, I can just be myself. (Now, note I say sometimes.)

These friends of mine are so loving, so admiring, so wonderful...needless to say they are close to my heart.

With these relationships being so near and dear to my heart, I can not dismiss the fact of what other relationship is so important to me-my relationship with Jesus.

Knowing Jesus intimately, I can't help but have a desire for others to know Him as well.

But let's by honest Christ-Followers, sometimes it's hard...infuriating...time-consuming...energy-draining...
And sometimes you selfishly pray "Lord take me away from here! From them!" Like Jenny in Forrest Gump or perhaps like the real person Jonah. {Read Jonah}
  •   What keeps you from ministering? Outreaching? Sharing the Light?
I've been praying about this more often than not recently. And God through the weeks has taught me three things that have captured my attention concerning this topic...
and the issue is not them....
it is me.

He said:

YOU NEED TO HAVE PATIENCE
2 Peter 3:9
Romans 5:8
John 3:17
YOU NEED TO LOVE
1 Cor. 13
1 John 4:7-21
YOU NEED TO SHOW MERCY
Jude
2 Cor. 6:3-13
Matthew 19:14
Just as my Lord has done all these things for me, I must do the same.
You will never forgive someone as much as God has forgiven you.
Be the testimony rather than the testimony you want to share.

But be wise.
Proverbs 16

"IT IS WRITTEN: "AS SURELY AS I LIVE," SAYS THE LORD, "EVERY KNEE WILL BOW BEFORE ME; EVERY TONGUE WILL ACKNOWLEDGE GOD.""-ROMANS 14:11 

"HOW, THEN, CAN THEY CALL ON THE ONE THEY HAVE NOT BELIEVED IN? AND HOW CAN THEY BELIEVE IN THE ONE OF WHOM THEY HAVE NOT HEARD? AND HOW CAN THEY HEAR WITHOUT SOMEONE PREACHING TO THEM? AND HOW CAN ANYONE PREACH UNLESS THEY ARE SENT? AS IT IS WRITTEN: "HOW BEAUTIFUL ARE THE FEET OF THOSE WHO BRING GOOD NEWS!""-ROMANS 10:14-15





No comments:

Post a Comment