translate

Thursday, April 9, 2015

“Love Me, Love My Garden”

Have you ever wondered what it’s like laying something down at the feet of Jesus?

Well, here is a hint for you:
  • o   pick something you really, really, REALLY love
  • o   go somewhere that’s recently experiencing a sinking whole
  • o   now, toss in the whole that thing you really, really, REALLY love

You’re probably wondering, “Geez, that’s kind of harsh isn’t?” And my response to you would be, “Yes, yes it is. But it is true.” You see laying down something at Jesus feet isn’t like running through a field of daisies. In fact, it is more like beginning a garden…and I HATE gardening…especially when it’s not my garden. And in fact this garden, although mine in nature, when I have given my life to Jesus, is now the tender soil for the Holy Spirit.

“My ways are not your ways…”Isaiah 55:8

I recently experienced this very metaphor…and am still waiting to see what God brings out of it…

Have you ever heard the saying,

“If you love something, let it go. If it doesn't come back to you, you were never meant to have it. If it does come back to you, it was meant to be.”

I remember my mother had a magnet that said this very thing on it…along with this picture of a dove-as if this proverb was to be symbolic of some inner peace result. This quote has been on my mind for the last few months and I have been debating if it is true or not. (True here meaning logically sound/valid, because for something to be “true” it must be the case in ALL circumstances.) I am finding instead, that this statement needs to be qwerteeked a bit. Instead I believe it should say,

“If you love something, make sure it is of God or else be prepared to let it go weather willingly or unwillingly.”

You see, only God is eternal and only what He brings are good things.

Can I get an, “AMEN!”? 

Although, you may say it-do you believe it?

This past fall, I had the pleasure of meeting a young man in one of my classes. Towards the end of the semester he asked me out for dinner. From that night on, we spent every weekend together going to concerts, watching movies, and/or making dinner together. He was my first boyfriend. It was all very different, new, and exciting for me as one could imagine. He was so sweet to me-opening up the car door, cooking an amazing/healthy meal, taking me to concerts…only one thing (okay a few things, but one main thing ) was wrong in our relationship...he was a Hindu and I was a Christian.

So due to advice from friends and family (and finally coming to my senses), I knew that as a
Follower of Jesus Christ this relationship could not be long term. Thus, we broke up. Now let us skip ahead a couple months later. We converse here and there, even hang out once in a blue moon. He invites me over to watch a movie…at night…alone at his house…he puts his arm around me…Needless to say anymore, he wanted us to get back together. What would
You do in my shoes?

If you have a Bible, turn to Exodus 20. If you do not have a Bible, follow this hyper-link:Exodus 20

Let’s focus on what we refer to as the Ten Commandments. Now grab a piece of paper and write #1-10 on it, giving at least three lines in between each number. I want you to write out each commandment (in your own words); as well as, write out your thoughts about them &/or what Jesus says about them in the NT. Here are some questions to help simulate your thought:
  • o   how was this commandment applicable then verses today
  • o   in what ways does this commandment convict me
  • o   why were these particular commandments written and why in this particular order
  • o   on a scale of 1-10, (1=least difficult & 10=most difficult), how would you label each commandment?

“If you love me, you will obey my commands…”-Jesus John 14:15

“...The world will know you are of me…”-Jesus John 17:13

The New Testament summarizes all Ten Commandments in just one simple statement:

“Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.” 

Thus, laying down something at the feet of Jesus isn't as easy as it sounds. It is about laying down of yourself, being a living sacrifice (Romans 12), willing to take up your cross/your death, ready to crawl upon the alter…regardless upon how you feel, what you think, your worries, your aspirations, your hopes & dreams, your theology, your ideology, ect.

“Every knee will bow and every tongue will confess that Jesus is Lord.”-God Romans 14:11
  • o   Is Jesus LORD of your life right now? Why or why not?
  • o   What thing(s) are you needing to lay down?
  • o   What does the “garden of your soul” need tending to right now?
  • o   What do you need to trust God with? How will you go about that?



No comments:

Post a Comment