translate

Monday, February 18, 2013

Let's play Devil's Advocate just for a sec./my role in the "missions field"

"When your right about God and right with God there is no reason to be intimidated by the world, by the flesh and by Satan himself."
                                         -Philip DelRay (evangelical speaker and author)
  • How do you know you are right with God?
  • If it is you who (essentially) are defining "being in the right" is that not just justifying?
  • If then your conclusions are that "you are in right" because the Bible says that Jesus is "the Way, the Truth and the Life" [John 14:6] and you follow that, does it not also say "Humble yourself" [1 Peter 5:6] and "value others above yourself" [Phil. 2:3]; so then how can you say that you are the only one who is right like most Christians do?
I had immediately thought of this quote the other day when I had finished a brief, but 'heated' conversation with a friend of mine. I then thought to myself, "Oh, I need to blog about this!" (That was meant to humor you.) "I should somehow devise a series of questions that would almost seem like the Devil & I are having an argument. But I, being clever & all (again for your humor), will respond/answer back with just as much sting & craftiness. I'll use simple statements that have profound attributes, present theology intertwined with huge words I can only find in the Thesaurus and be like "bazinga" I blew all yah minds!".... However, God had a better plan in store...

Instead, I will let you answer all these questions yourself-ain't I sweet? Of course I have my opinions as to how they should be answered, but who wants that?

I sappose all in all, more than anything these questions have helped spur me on to what my last blog pertained to-the concept of being a "missionary". For the situation with my friend entailed conflicts of religion. (Imagine that, having a conflict over religion.) As we conversed I had a ravenous passion overwhelm me like one of my past daydreams. That dream of mine presented itself giving me insight as what I would love to do for a future career-for too many times as young students are we asked that and far too many more times are we, underneath what we say, truly unsure. That passion of mine is this me: to travel the world, be immersed in the different cultures & different religions, collect all principles about that religion & the identity it creates within the person's atmosphere. Then when I have an accurate understanding, through love I will present the Gospel of Jesus to them in ways in which they can truly comprehend. Finally, in doing this process I want to document everything I learned so I could share it with "my people" back home; as well as hopefully educate others to have the same mindset & make disciples.
  • So regardless of what you learn from another culture, you are still going to say they are wrong?
  • Doesn't God's Word say "love one another as I (Jesus) have loved you" (John 15:12)? You claim that Jesus takes you as you are, why won't you accept others as who they are-every part of them?
  • What if  all this "Jesus, salvation" thing is all made up by people who where simply ethnocentric and you've spent all your time buying into it?
  • Do you really think someone can change the heart and mind of another who is also so set in stone that their faith is the right one?
With that I will conclude with playing the "Devil's Advocate" or as a philosopher would just call it-epistemology, and leave you with what God's Spirit directed me to following my brief conversation with my friend>

9 Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. 10 Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves. 11 Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. 12 Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. 13 Share with the Lord’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality.

14 Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. 15 Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. 16 Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position.[c] Do not be conceited.-Romans 12: 9-16.  http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=romans%2012&version=NIV

For those who know Jesus, all I can say is "wow". How I pray that as I continue this journey of being a missionary for the Lord that my heart/motives will never betray these verses.

I understand some of the questions I presented (okay, all of them) where kinda (really) hard to face. But if we are not going to face them now, when and where and with whom? Get your faith solid and grounded now. Sure you might not ever be able to answer those questions fully or even completely logically; then again could anyone? At least give it a try, "ask, seek & knock" (Matt. 7:7). 

"It is by grace through faith that you have been saved" (Eph. 2:8)








*I meant no harm to Philip DelRay

No comments:

Post a Comment