translate

Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Devotions: Luke 10: 38-42

These are my devotions from 10/10/12. The thoughts I present here are based off of my previous knowledge on matters, but it does not make them automatically correct. Like I would encourage anyone diving into God's Word is to gather empirical knowledge; as well as, superlative wisdom in which only comes through the guidance of the Holy Spirit. With that said, through my desire to share what I have learned, that someone gains something. Rather that be encouragement or the need for further explanation, let it be.

Thus, let us dive into Luke 10:38-42. Now, why did I choose this scripture? Hmm, simple answer: I have been studying Luke one bit at a time and this was just what came next. Here is another one of those stories I bet those who have gone to church here and there have heard of.
  • So who are our main characters here? Do we know anything else about them? (here is an excellent opportunity to use that handy Bible dictionary)
  • What is your immediate response after just reading it? What pre-conclusions have already been set up against this text/ what has someone "preached" to you about it?
  • Do you believe more can be examined regarding these women and this brief encounter with Jesus?
Well, with upon answering that last piece this is what I came up with: Me being the visual person I drew a picture of what I thought the women could possibly look like (I honestly have no idea and encourage someone to enlighten me). Next, I drew arrows extending out from them with my random thoughts. Like based on what I know about little children, I played with the idea of perhaps Mary was much younger than Martha (the scripture does not say). I also noted next to Martha what other features she could possibly posses based on this account, but then again that can be a dangerous road to toil on. Which brings us to dismounting the answer to question two. I believe too many times Martha gets a BAD rap for being too preoccupied with all the preparations that are needing to be done. That is the key to the piece we are missing! There was obviously things that were needing to be done. She had a guest in her home for crying out loud (now I sound like my grandma). Funny though, wouldn't have one had all the cooking and cleaning done before they opened their doors to a guest? By the way the scripture is worded, I don't quite think they were expecting Jesus and his disciples to be staying over.
  • When is the last time Jesus has surprised you and came into your home?your heart?
  • Were you/are you willing to open the doors for Christ and let him entertain you instead of vis versa?
*GOD DOESN'T NEED ANYTHING FROM YOU, HE JUST WANTS YOU...AS YOU, AND ONLY YOU ARE!
I was remembering when I was younger and had my friends come over. For some reason I would make them sit on the bed and wait till I cleaned up everything in my room for it to be more presentable or 'friendlier' to them. Man, what time I wasted! How foolish of me to set aside my friend's presence while they were in my home! Something I want you to really grab a hold of here is Jesus's response to Martha's flip-out

"Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed-or indeed
only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and that will not be taken away form her."-vrs. 41-42 tniv

I found it intriguing that Jesus didn't curs Martha out for not spending time with Him (hahah like He would have anyway), nor did he say "Martha, what you're doing is stupid and meaningless." No, rather I have concluded that Jesus loves us so soo sooo very much that He still lets us continue in those temporary and meaningless items. Martha asks in what I can only imagine a frantic and quivering voice, "Lord, don't you care..."
Now, I want you to continue reading because I believe there is a reason why scripture was organized the way it has been (that is a whole other story that I would love to chat about sometime). Read Luke 11: 1-13. Now I know there is more to be said about this next section, but just for right now let us concentrate on a conclusion from our study.
  • Do you think God cares about the temporary things?
  • Do you believe He still provides for you although what you ask is selfish?
  • How would you're character act if you were present in these situations?
I will leave you now with this.......YOU ARE ALREADY IN THOSE SAME SITUATIONS. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment