translate

Friday, December 21, 2012

I don't understand Jesus, but I sure do love Him.


 
                 As I read through one of the Gospels, Luke, I am amazed on how much it shocks me! Have you ever been shocked by the Word of God before? (Maybe that's the lightening bolt from heaven everyone jokes around about.) I have been reading, studying and frankly confused over this book for the past few months. IT IS UTTERLY AMAZING! And it makes me question just how much I really know my Savior. I mean if you have never checked this stuff out, I recommend it. No, I HIGHLY recommend it! I mean from Jesus loving on sinners, to calling out the stuck-up church people, to parables that talk about the destruction of the those who are unfaithful....the list can go on forever Baby. (sorry, tiss the season for Home Alone quotes.) But, the one thing I desire to write about today is something I believe most people have struggled with, what most fellow classmates of mine have faced and what my family/friends have certainly battled with. And, that my friends is the church. It is not that the church is irrelevant or that the church is too strict, rather I have seen and experienced the fall of it. Now, it is important to note here what I exactly mean when I say: the church. The Church is the body and believers of Jesus Christ. In Him and through the adoption He offers, we are united by this bond of grace; we are now brothers and sisters, we are family. I have written about the church in other notes here on facebook and advise for you to check them out. This time is not straying too far from the last time I wrote about, but I am still sure it is something that will shock some. What I desire to write about comes from Luke 22, especially verses24-38. Regardless, I would recommend reading the whole chapter (you should know by now that that is given).
So, what's going one here? What sticks out to you? For me there were a few things:
  1. vs 31 reassured me on how Satan must ask permission from God to do anything to his people. Recall Job 1-2.
  2. the reflecting back to when Jesus sent out the Disciples to heal and preach to the lost people of Israel, Luke 9:1-9, Matthew 10.
  3. the request for a sword
That last one struck me the most. For we read in the Gospels that Jesus did not come to bring peace, but a sword. However, His sword was figurative not literal. We read in Revelation that when the Son of Man appeared His tongue was like and sharper than a double-edged sword. Jesus had came and fulfilled EVERY LITTLE AND SPECIFIC prophecy, but He DID NOT come to fulfill the people's expectancies. Did you get that? They had expected a military hero. They got a rebellious, lover of sinners, humble person instead. So why now the need for swords? Was He thinking, "I am going to give the people what they want-fighting and show them how unbeneficial it is." Or maybe He wanted the 12 to prepare and defend themselves for the change that was going to come after He was crucified. I thought, what if He asked for swords because he wanted to heal the temple guard? Do you know or remember what happened when Jesus was arrested? The disciples tried defending their leader with their swords, attacked the guard,  and cut off his ear. Hmmm....crazy huh? And interesting, very interesting.

Follow me here: what if, this is a big IF, Jesus wanted or wants the church to have dissension? In my last note concerning my devotion, I had shared how the church has too many times taken upon themselves the definition and duties of a family as the world does and not as God does. But knowing God, I know He knew the church was going to be the biggest whore of all (Hosea). Certainly He does not love this, but He does not stop it. Just like He lets us humans in general give in and pervert nature (Romans 1), He has allowed the "mighty to fall". "But whoa to whom it may come through!"-Luke 17:1-3. Maybe, this was another way He desired for those looking on the outside in to 'come in'. Note Jesus healed the guard. Note Jesus said "enough!".

   My friends, sometimes church fails us. They hurt us and leave us with limbs cut off....I know, I live with the after effects. The ones I trusted and admired used their worldly desires and tools instead of their King of Kings. Too many have I seen their "righteousness" as a blade instead of just simply a broken body covered in grace and mercy. I can not express my apologies enough. But let me say this one thing:

 JESUS CAME AND DIED FOR YOU. HE CAME TO HEAL AND RESTORE YOU, EVEN IF YOU HATE HIM. GO AHEAD DESPISE THE CHURCH, BUT DO NOT FORGET WHOM HAS CALLED THEM. GOD WILL DEAL WITH THEM IF THEY HAVE HURT YOU, BUT FOR NOW TUNE IN TO WHAT HE HAS TO SAY TO YOU. HOW HE LOVES YOU.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment