translate

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

"The end doesn't justify the means."/ Luke 12: 49-53

What I am wanting to share today is something that can be confusing-not as confusing as "the sound of one hand clapping" as some Buddhist colonies would say, but baffling in the sense that it is not something usually heard. If you haven't already, please dive into Luke 12:49-53.
  • What are your immediate response? Are you shocked, why or why not?
I know as I read this again I was thinking, "Wow, Jesus. You're totally not the Jesus I thought you were!." And I love that! So as I read this, my attention was pulled towards one verse, verse 51
"Do you think I came to bring peace on earth? No, I tell you, but division."
  • Did you think Jesus came to bring peace on earth? Our Christmas songs say He does....
  • What do you think about when He says "peace" here?Or how do you define peace?
Well, I went to take a look at what my Greek translated bible had to say here (f.y.i: the New Testament was originally written in Greek). The word used for peace looks like such: ειρήνη. The definition for this word means= opposite of strife, peace of mind, reconciliation with God, corresponding to Old Testament's Hebrew word meaning a perfect well-being. So didn't Jesus do all that? My answer is yes....and no. You see, YES, Jesus gives us peace of mind [John 14:27] and YES, Jesus came to bring us back to God [2 Cor.5:18-19]. But Jesus DID NOT take us away from strife, in fact He says we will get more of it [Matt. 10:22]!! Thus, my thought process was, why? Why do we get more strife than what we had before? And ha, why would we be turned on to investing into Christ if this is to come? I believe the answer lies in what the rest of the definition of peace stands for here.

Next, I took another look at what Jesus was talking about with the fire stuff:
"I have come to bring fire on the earth, and how I wish it were already kindled!"
Is He talking about the end of the world? Let's keep reading:
"But I have a baptism to undergo, and what constraint I am under until it is completed!"
It doesn't look like He is talking about the "end of the world" at all; rather, He is talking about the baptism of the Holy Spirit.{note here I say baptism of the Holy Spirit not water.} We can draw this conclusion from what other scripture says: Matthew 3: 11, Joel 2: 28-29*, Acts 2, & 2 Timothy 1:6. In these regards,  it is important to know about the Holy Spirit and what it does for the body of believers (if you're interested in further discussion concerning this, please comment below or just dive into your Bible...I'll probably just tell you to do that anyways). For one, it helps us get a little bit of a grasp of what then Jesus could be talking about in verses 52-53. Do you remember just a few chapters back what Jesus said regarding His family?
"Now Jesus's mother and brother came to see him, but they were not able to get near him because of the crowd. Someone told him, "Your mother and brothers are standing outside, wanting to see you." He replied, "My mother and brother are those who hear God's word and put it into practice" -Luke 8: 19-21
Could it be safe to say then that Jesus is talking about our families? Our blood-related family? Because our "family" in Him is suppose to be united right? (I know sometimes or maybe more times than not, the church is not united, I will address this issue shortly) That is is goal right? To have the whole world "on fire for Him"? Is it clicking yet? WE WILL HAVE STRIFE IN OUR HOMES BECAUSE OF JESUS. What is strife? Strife is= lack of agreement or harmony, bitter conflict, heated often violent dissension. Curious huh? But, not really. Let me ask you this tough question
  • If Jesus knew He was going to bring strife in our homes, why should we try to fix them?
I will leave you to answer that on your own. Now, I have seen a lot of strife these days. And it mainly focuses on when a child has come to know Jesus personally and their parents or even grandparents have not. This strife can be seen in many ways. Perhaps, you're the wife who's just discovered who Jesus is to you and suffer with why you husband's not striving along. Or maybe you're the granddaughter of someone who has become sooo wrapped up in church they have lost the meaning of it all. Either way, Jesus well knew there was going to be strife!

I concluded my study with another couple of tough questions that I do hope to unravel.
  1. Why would Jesus want or have lives be divided?
  2. How does Jesus deal with what He gets in regards to ourselves and Him?
Obviously, we all want things to be well within our families and we would do anything for that to happen (or at least some of us would). But what I feel Jesus is saying here is this: "You think you have family division now, just wait it will get worse." or "You want to be united and stick with your family names, legacies and traditions, but I've come to break all that!" (A side not here: if you haven't studied anything about the Greeks/Romans I will let you on a little secret-they were HUGE on this last name/legacy stuff! But idk, if Jesus was really addressing the Romans here.) 

So, what a dilemma we now have. Shoot, this shouldn't be anything new! Jesus said, "Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves a son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me."-Matt. 10:37. (Now, He is not saying to hate them but more like get your priorities right. Neither should you get the conclusion that Jesus hates peace.) Family is where you're core is based from, they are the people you share everything with, the ones who truly know you and understand you. But now, here comes Jesus and He's going to rock your world! Why? Because something us families are good at is protecting each other...even if that means going against what is right. With Jesus flame in your heart, He calls you to stop that nonsense. He calls you to be a speaker of Truth. This is not exactly what the world's family wants. Sure, they might persuade you to be one, but when push comes to shove they'd rather want you to have their backs than anything else! This is where some churches have messed up and BIG TIME! Sometimes it is THE CHURCH who has traded in the truth for "protection". Why? Because they have started living by the world's definition of "family"=protect at all cost. What did Jesus do? He saved at all cost. The church in many cases has become corrupt and bent on selfish gain. For anyone who has experienced this, I am truly truly sorry.

But now, you have a choice. The choice of following Jesus or not, the greatest choice you will ever make (that and who you will marry lol). Note the costs. And note the benefits. However, one choice you do not have is whether or not to be a speaker of Truth in Christ. You're obligated to. Even in your families you must speak up for Jesus.

Thus, "the end does not justify the means" because if comfort is all you care about you are missing the point. Life is about WHO YOU ARE and what you do about it, peace or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment